Cork Vegfest the biggest and best vegan event in Ireland happens on May 13th. It is a celebration of vegan food and lifestyle. Full of local food stalls providing the very best of vegan cuisine all day long: vegan cheeses, vegan donuts, vegan pizzas, burgers, ice cream, healthy salads, cakes and drinks. There’ll be cruelty free cosmetics and body care producers too. Diet and nutrition talks by experts, demo’s, performances & lots more! Speakers include first time speaking in Ireland: Patrik Baboumian/ the world’s strongest vegan, Germany’s strongest man, world record holder and face of PETA 2011/2012 (don’t ask him where he get’s his protein?) & Fiona Oakes /elite marathon runner who broke the time record for completing the Seven Continents & Polar Ice Cap Challenge.
We anticipate a couple of thousand people over the day. Vegan or not vegan, everyone is welcome to try new foods, take a talk or hangout among a super friendly enviroment. Activities on the day include demo’s, talks by diet experts and stars of the plant based world, award winning bloggers, live music. Tickets (only €8) are on sale here.
Saturday 13th, 10 am – 7 pm
Cork City Hall, Terence McSwiney Quay, Ballintemple, Cork
“Vegfest is spearheaded by a dedicated group of people passionate about vegan living. That’s all it takes to bring about change.”
“The festival not only offered the opportunity to broaden one’s palette but it was also an interesting insight into veganism and how being conscious of the food you are consuming is only one aspect of leading a cruelty-free lifestyle.”
Cork Vegfest Speakers:
Patrik Baboumian – World record holder, vegan strongman athlete
Fiona Oakes – 3 x world record holder and elite athlete
Dr Ailis Brosnan – Your Healthy Living Coach: Powered by Plants – the health benefits of a plant-based diet
Glauce Lucas – All About Vegan Food – Raising Vegan Children: We’re Doing It Right
Cork Vegfest Music & Performances:
Siân Brown – Corkonian singer & song writer
Ines Khai: Creole Blues from Guadeloupe
Cork Vegfest Food Demo’s:
Ciara Norton / Vegan Mammy: Vegan Cooking for Kids
Virginia O’Gara / My Goodness: Kimchi vegan style
Vegan lifestyle is growing rapidly around the world with an estimated 7.5 million vegans in the USA as example.
- Figures for Ireland are not so available but the level of interest is very high and growing with more clearly labeled vegan friendly food products on the shop shelves meeting demand for healthier, more ethical products. Almost all high street food outlets offer tasty vegan menus.
2. People adopt a vegan lifestyle for a number of reasons. Personal health is one of them; a vegan diet has been shown to be an effective way to reverse and prevent some of the killer diseases associated with a standard western lifestyle.
3. People are hearing about the benefits of a vegan diet and lifestyle from stars like Miley Cyrus, Sia who are both vegans or Beyonce who recently launched a vegan delivery service in New York.
Environmental concerns around deforestation, water pollution, food waste and Climate Change bring a lot of people to go vegan too. Animal agriculture is the number one cause of greenhouse gases causing climate change.
4. Concern for the billions of animals used in our food systems is another reason.
5. The demand for ethical cruelty free products is increasing in Ireland and around the world.
6. Going vegan is a good practical solution to people’s concerns for their health, our planet and animals.
Some famous present day vegans
Erykah Badu – Singer
Liam Hemsworth – Actor
Miley Cyrus – Singer
Thandie Newton – Actor- Westworld
Rosanna Davison – Super model & writer
Kerry McCarthy – Shadow Agriculture Minister UK
Thich Nhat Hanh – Buddhist monk & author
Benjamin Zephaniah – writer & poet
Stella McCartney – Fashion Designer
James Cameron – Movie Director
Alicia Silverstone – Actor, writer
Joaquin Phoenix – Actor
Woody Harrelson – Actor
Samuel L. Jackson – Actor
Famous vegan athletes
Rich Roll – Ultra endurance
Brendan Brazier – Triathlon & ultra endurance
Matt Danzig – MMA
Scott Jurek – ultra endurance runner
Frank Medrano – body calisthenics
Nate Diaz- MMA