Come along to one of five forest walks organised around the country by IFA in association with See Change, Coillte and Mental Health Ireland this May.
The Let’s Talk and Walk events encourage people to take time out of their busy lives, go for a walk and support the campaign to change minds about mental health – one conversation at a time.
The walks are part of a month-long national Green Ribbon Campaign organised by See Change to get people talking openly about mental health problems and to break the stigma of silence associated with mental health.
IFA Farm Family Chairperson Maura Canning says the walks are a great chance to take time out in beautiful surrounds, on your own, or together with friends and family: “This is the fourth year the IFA has organised the walks and they have proved extremely popular each year. Everybody knows somebody who has been affected by mental health problems, and people really want to support the Green Ribbon campaign. The walks, particularly the cup of tea and chat afterwards, are a very enjoyable way to do that. It is a lovely family day out with walks and activities to suit all ages.”
“The Let’s Talk and Walk series of walks is a wonderful opportunity for friends, families and communities to connect while being mindful of our own and others’ mental health and wellbeing,” says Orla Barry CEO Mental Health Ireland, “We are delighted to partner with the IFA, See Change and Coillte on these unique community walks and look forward to seeing everyone at the locations.”
Ciaran Fallon, Director of Stewardship and Public Goods at Coillte said “As Ireland’s largest provider of outdoor recreation, Coillte is delighted to support this initiative and promote positive mental health by hosting the walks; I would encourage everyone to get out and involved and experience the peaceful and beautiful surrounds of our forest parks and trails and we’d love to see you back walking Coilte’s tracks and trails more regularly”
You don’t need to be an expert to start talking about mental health and you don’t have to have all the answers, says John Saunders, Director of See Change, “Sometimes just listening is the most helpful thing you can do. Joining in with these walks and wearing the Green Ribbon during the month of May is a simple way to show support for anyone experiencing mental health problems and of starting a conversation.”
- The Let’s Talk and Walk will take place in the following locations during May:
– Sunday, May 1st 3.00pm Coillte Forest Park, Portumna, Co. Galway
– Sunday, May 8th 3.00pm Coillte Forest Park Avondale, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow
– Sunday, May 15th 3.00pm OPW Forest Park, Doneraile, Co. Cork
– Thursday, May 19th 7.30pm Lough Muckno Forest Park, Co. Monaghan
– Sunday, May 22nd 3.00pm Coillte Forest Park, Ards, Co. Donegal
- For more information on the Green Ribbon campaign: http://www.greenribbon.ie/
- For information on Coillte Forest Parks visit: www.coillteoutdoors.ie
- Lough Muckno Forest Park, Co. Monaghan is a partnership between Coillte, Monaghan County Council and Muckno Community Partnership.