The use of oils, including the much loved coconut, are widely known within health, beauty, food and fitness, but it’s a confusing area for those who don’t know their MCT’s from their LCT’s. Here, the brand behind the infamous Bulletproof Coffee explains how some oils really are more special than others, and the wonderful ways in which to benefit from them…
MCT’s and LCT’s – Why Coconut Oil may not be giving you the energy boost you need
MCT’s (medium chain triglyceride) are GREAT. These are made up of carbon chains and quickly get converted into energy to fuel your brain and body. The best kind of MCT’s are those with shorter carbon chains – C8 & C10. The shorter the chain, the better they are. MCT’s don’t need to pass through the body’s liver. Instead, they can get straight to work transporting to ketones for energy.
LCT’s aren’t so great. Unlike MCT’s, LCT’s get processed by your liver. This matters because your body metabolizes it differently. Coconut Oil has C12/Lauric Acid chains which aren’t as beneficial. Whilst C12 is classed as an MCT chemically, biologically it works like an LCT. This means that when you ingest it, you don’t get the fast ketone energy that you would from a C6, C8 or C10.
If you are counting on coconut oil for your MCTs, you’re going to get a lot of Lauric Acid (65%), and only about 5% of these are really good shorter chain MCTs.
So what’s the better alternative for energy?
Bulletproof’s Upgraded Octane Oil is a sure fire choice for those looking for a quality MCT Oil.
It consists of C8, the rarest MCT of them all. This is derived from the heart of the coconut and has 18 x more C8 than coconut oil. This super-power MCT oil has endless uses.
- Make healthy Bulletproof salad dressings such as honey mustard or creamy basil vinaigrette
- Make Bulletproof Mayonnaise
- Drizzle on sushi to help your body produce ketones, even when you’re ingesting carbs from rice
- Make your own insect repellent before a holiday
- Add to your morning cup of Bulletproof Coffee for healthy digestion, brain power and healthy weight management
- Add to other drinks/liquids such as smoothies, porridge and soups
- Use within Bulletproof Coffee or other drinks and liquids as a pre-workout before training.
- Kick start fat burning by maximising your metabolism with Upgraded Octane Oil. We love the Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting Programme.
- Build muscle by shredding fat.
Use Upgraded Octane Oil:
- To gently remove makeup
- To condition hair and nails
- To make your own skin scrub
- Get white teeth by oil-pulling
- As a shaving lotion