- 80% of Irish people understand that Manuka Honey is a suitable treatment for a sore throat and more than 65% understand that it is suitable for the treatment of regular colds / cough.
- Just over a third of us use Manuka Honey for its health benefits.
- Approximately 13% of us go to the doctor when they have a cold or cough, but almost 30% visit our pharmacist.
- 20% of Irish people use a natural remedy to ward off colds and more than 76% regularly use natural health supplements to maintain their health.
More than half of us take vitamin C to ward off a cold, and almost a third of us opt to sleep it off, according to a survey* from Naturalife to mark the launch today of Manuka Health Honey Chewable Tablets with CycloPowerTM. But a significant percentage of us (c. 17%) use Manuka Honey…
With the predicted onset of much colder weather later this month, today’s launch of a new, convenient method of delivering all the benefits of natural Manuka Honey is timely. More than half of Irish people have bought Manuka Honey, with more than a third of them doing so for its health benefits.
The survey also found;
- Almost 17% of us take Manuka Honey to ward off a cold or infection, and 80% understand that it can be used effectively to treat sore throats.
- The source of real Manuka Honey was reasonably well known, with 41% correctly identifying New Zealand.
- Almost 20% of people are confused about MGO ratings / measurements and 13% are unaware of how to identify whether Manuka Honey is authentic or not.
Top natural remedies for colds / infections
|2||Regular Honey||47.2%||5||Sleep it off||28.0%|
The new chewable Manuka Honey MGO400+ tablets contain a new food technology known asCycloPowerTM which contains plant-based cyclodextrins. Cyclodextrin is a natural bioactive booster that helps dietary supplements to work better. Within the body this happens when the supplement comes in contact with fluids in the mouth and digestive system, thus releasing the Manuka honey in a sustained manner. It is to natural supplements what turbo is to vehicles – a way to get more performance without increasing the dose.
Manuka Honey MGO 400+ tablets with CycloPower ™ support good bacteria in mouth and throat are pleasant tasting, enjoyable to consume and unique in that they are the only Manuka Honey tablet of its kind.
“Manuka Honey combined with Cyclodextrins, a natural plant derived molecule, maximise the activity of Manuka Honey increasing its antibacterial effect and delivery in the body. Cyclodextrins provide the power in CycloPower™”, commented Mandy Suddes, Head of R&D, Manuka Health, New Zealand.
Manuka Honey MGO400+ chewable tablets with CycloPowerTM are convenient, and come in a blister pack that can be kept in your bag or in your desk drawer, so they are always at hand when you feel a cough, cold, sore throat or mouth infection coming on.
“The amount of sugar in our health supplements is an important factor when making a decision, and the low sugar content in the new CycloPower tablets is a significant plus factor in its favour,” says Nutritional Therapist Elsa Jones. “As well as having all the benefits of natural Manuka Honey, the CycloPower element in these tablets transports those benefits deeper into the body”.
Manuka Honey with CycloPowerTM chewable tablets;
o Are convenient
o Have a low GI (Glycaemic Index) – suitable for diabetics
o Are up to 50 times more potent than MGO 400+ Manuka Honey
o Value for money – The enhanced bioavailability of CycloPower™ tablets makes them excellent value for money.
o Recommended use: Place one chewable tablet in the mouth and chew or allow it to dissolve.
“CycloPower tablets are convenient, mild tasting and have a low GI,” continued Mandy Suddes. “They offer a great new alternative to Manuka honey in a jar for people who dislike the taste of honey and also for those who need to watch their blood sugar levels”.
Looking for Manuka honey from New Zealand with a high MGO factor is a great way for consumers to rule out the fake honey with an MGO below 100+, which won’t provide the same health benefits.
What is Methylglyoxal (MGO)?
Dietary Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a compound that occurs naturally when glucose is made available to a living cell in the human body, plant or animal. Methylglyoxal is produced to insure every cell’s health. MGO Manuka Honey is the only 100% natural food that has a strong antibacterial and antiviral activity due to the presence of Methylglyoxal that forms in natural form in the nectar of the flowers of Manuka Bush, ready for collection by the honey-bee. Methylglyoxal is transferred into the honey where it remains stable. Dietary Methylglyoxal found in Manuka Honey is resistant to heat, light, body fluids and enzymatic activity. This property makes MGO Manuka Honey superior to any other honey.
Manuka Health is the first company to bring this information to light and to market MGO Manuka Honey that indicates the level of Methylglyoxal in Manuka Honey. Molecules of Methylglyoxal have demonstrated high activity against any Streptococcus (like MRSA), H. pylori, E. coli and other bacteria resistant to classic antibiotic drugs.
* The research was conducted on behalf of Manuka Health by Mortar London amongst 2,100 adults in the UK and Ireland. The survey was carried out between 12th October and 14th October 2015.
- Cyclodextrin is a natural bioactive booster that helps dietary supplements work better.
- The power in CycloPowerTM comes from the cyclodextrin, a plant-derived beneficial fibre. Alpha-cyclodextrin is a natural combination of six glucose molecules. It is a well-defined, pure substance consisting of six linked glucose units.
- Manuka Honey 400+ with CycloPowerTM is available to buy at Health Stores, Pharmacies and online at www.genuninemanuka.net.
About Manuka Honey
- Manuka Honey is derived from the nectar of the flowers of the New Zealand native Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka in Maori).
- MGOTM Manuka Honey is the only 100% natural food in the world shown to have effective and reliable antibacterial activity due to its high level of naturally-occurring antibacterial compound called Methylglyoxal.
- Manuka Health New Zealand has been working closely with Japanese scientists who discovered that combining New Zealand natural products with beneficial oligosaccharides derived from plants to create synergistic natural supplements can make them many times more available to the body.
- Real Manuka Honey contains a natural compound called Methylglyoxal (MGO) which is responsible for the unique antibacterial properties of Manuka Health’s honey. This is what makes it special. For maximum benefit, consumers should look for Manuka honey from New Zealand with a high MGOTM factor of at least MGO 100+.
About Manuka Health New Zealand Ltd.
- Manuka Health, based in Auckland, New Zealand, was founded by its CEO, Kerry Paul, in 2006. Kerry recognised that there was a growing demand for natural health care and nutrition products based on natural bioactives sourced from New Zealand plants and trees. Manuka Health has led the world in developing a range of innovative natural products for a wide range of human health applications. Scientific evidence is provided to support the efficacy of these products. The main sources for the products are New Zealand Manuka honey, propolis and other bee products.
- Manuka Health’s products are labelled according to the concentration of key bioactive compounds, e.g., Methylglyoxal content, using MGO™, a registered trademark. Products are distributed through a global network comprising over 45 countries.
- Manuka Health is accredited to ISO 9001 and for British Retail Certification across its operation; ISO 17025 for its laboratory and testing equipment; as well as Halal & Kosher. www.manukahealth.co.nz
- In Ireland, the exclusive distributor for Manuka Health Honey is Naturalife. Seewww.genuninemanuka.net.
- Based in Rathnew, County Wicklow, Naturalife Health is one of Irelands leading health supplement suppliers.
- With over 15 years trading experience, Joint Managing Directors Darragh Hammond and Dominic Galvin’s love and passion for premium health products is central to the Naturalife’s on-going success and growth.
- With nationwide distribution to over 90% of Health Food Stores and Pharmacies in Ireland customer focus and consumer trends are critical to Naturalife’s extensive and top quality product range.