With Christmas a distant memory and the New Year in full swing; it’s time to start thinking about achieving those all-important resolutions. So why not dive into 2015 with a resolution that which will help to burn off all those tasty mince pies and chocolate, teach your baby a potentially life-saving skill and get you both out and about and having fun? Whatever the weather, swimming still provides one of the best forms of exercise for both you and your baby, and is just as perfect for cold winter days as it is for hot summer ones.
The good news is that it’s never too early to take your baby to the pool or Water Babies classes – however the main thing to consider when taking very young children swimming is that the water temperature needs to be cosy warm. This means 32 degrees for babies under 12lbs or 12 weeks and 30 degrees for everyone else. The good news is there’s no minimum age to start your baby swimming and they don’t need to have had any immunisations before they go.
Water Babies teaches in warm water and hydrotherapy pools, which are just like stepping into a giant bath tub and perfect for new or premature babies. “We don’t see a drop in our classes during the winter months,” says Carol McNally from Water Babies. “In fact, many of our parents tell us that they love getting into a lovely warm pool with their baby, whilst the rain trickles down the windows outside.”
So how does Water Babies tick all those New Year’s resolution boxes?
- · Swimming is the only form of exercise your baby can do literally from birth! It provides a complete physical work-out for them and parents often comment that their little ones eat and sleep better on swimming days.
- · The class is also a good workout for you – moving around the pool with plenty of water resistance is harder than you think, while bouncing your baby throughout the lesson does wonders for toning those arms!
- · Trying something new together – babies love the attention that time in the water allows, and the skin-to-skin contact is fantastic for bonding with your baby.
- · Swimming is a potentially life-saving skill – and what better time to commit to learning a new one! Water Babies teaches you and your baby water safety from day one and you’ll be amazed what your little one will pick up in a matter of weeks.
- · Water Babies is a lovely social activity and a great opportunity to get together and meet other new parents. Or why not go along with a friend? Water Babies lessons teach you to teach your baby to swim, so starting with a friend will give you both the perfect incentive to head to the pool together and practice!
Swimming with your baby is a great way to play and is fantastic for strengthening the bond between the two of you. It will also introduce them to a lifelong love of staying healthy and fit, whilst having a great time too! What could be better?
Water Babies classes are available in Dublin, Louth, Meath, Kildare, Cork and Kerry, Galway, Sligo, Mayo, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Tipperary and Kilkenny . For more information and information about the new Spring Term and Taster classes, please visit www.waterbabies.ie.