Back to school isn’t just about homework and studying. For most busy Irish families, children are engaging both their brain & their body on a daily basis. However this can also lead to fatigue if the body is not properly fed and hydrated.
With so many children participating in after-school activities, parents may find themselves wondering what to feed their young super stars. It does depend on the age of the child but here are a few tips to keep in mind when feeding active children.
TIPS FOR PARENTS
Anthony Rainbow, former Kildare footballer and National Sales Manager for Scope Healthcare says:
- Plan ahead – make healthy eating a priority. Providing a packed lunch for your child so they can be adequately fuelled for their busy day ahead is so important. Ensure there is always access to healthy snacks throughout the day. For example, a turkey sandwich, yogurt, apples, oranges, cheese, watermelon slices, and granola bars are all filling and nutritious. Anything that has complex carbohydrates is also a bonus, so think whole grains, fruits, and cut up veggies, are all good choices to refuel.
- Water: Water is more important to children than sports drinks. If your child is active, they do not necessarily need ‘something extra’ like a sports drink. They should get the necessary nutrients and hydration by eating healthy foods and drinking plenty of water before, during and after exercise.
- Breakfast: The most important meal of the day. Make sure your child has a well-balanced breakfast before their busy day even begins. E.g. Porridge or Low sugar cereal, with milk and a banana.
- Multivitamins can help: A balanced multivitamin such as Vivioptal Junior can help supplement a child’s diet, but remember it should never been seen as a replacement for healthy eating. Fussy eaters can also benefit from Vivioptal Junior’s combination of essential minerals & vitamins. Vivioptal Junior’s balanced formula means it can be taken year round, in order to keep children energised and ready to deal with their changing daily routines & experiences
- Family meal together. It is important to emphasize family meal time. Don’t let after school activities disrupt family meals, and avoid eating on-the-run.
Exercise and after-school activities along with studying are great for our children’s development both physically, mentally and socially. Make sure they are well nourished and hydrated so that above all they can enjoy their busy school days.
About Vivioptal Junior
Vivioptal Junior is a scientifically developed advanced food supplement for children of all ages from 1+ year old. It provides a carefully balanced, comprehensive range of 12 essential vitamins and 7 trace minerals with a delicious orange taste both little and big kids will love.
Vivioptal Junior syrup does not contain any artificial colours, lactose, salt, alcohol, fat, yeast, egg or peanut oil. Vivioptal Junior syrup has not been tested on animals and does not need to be refrigerated.
Ensure Vivioptal Junior is part of your medicine cabinet and speak to your healthcare professional or pharmacist today about the many benefits of Vivioptal Junior throughout the year. Vivioptal Junior can be found in leading pharmacies across Ireland.