Pharmed Distribution based in Mullingar, has launched O.R.S® by Clinova, a soluble tablet form of the standard oral rehydration salts formula, in three great tasting flavours – blackcurrant, lemon and strawberry.
Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of a person’s normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. Athletes and sports people may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30% as a result of dehydration and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue. Symptoms of dehydration may also include headaches similar to what is experienced during a hangover, decreased blood pressure, and dizziness or fainting when standing up. Untreated dehydration generally results in delirium, unconsciousness, swelling of the tongue and, in very extreme cases, death.
O.R.S, one of the fastest growing over the counter brands in the UK, is a convenient, great tasting soluble tablet which delivers the right balance of electrolytes, glucose and minerals formulated to quickly restore optimum hydration in a highly portable solution.
Sports people including footballers, rugby players and runners who train intensively and sweat profusely will appreciate the easy to prepare soluble O.R.S tablets which come in handy 12 and 24 tablet tube packs. O.R.S is also great for rehydration as a result of the Winter vomiting bug or a night out on the town. The solution can be prepared in seconds by just adding two tablets to 200ml of drinking water.
If the body loses more fluid than it takes in, as is often the case in intensive sports activity, this can lead to dehydration. In cases of dehydration very little sodium is reabsorbed causing low levels of sodium in the body. The intestines have on their surface a “sodium-glucose co-transporter,” a protein that absorbs salt much better in the presence of glucose. O.R.S®provides the correct mix of glucose, electrolytes and salts and thus helps the absorption of sodium. During this sodium absorption phase, water molecules are also absorbed helping the body to rehydrate quickly.
O.RS. is available from pharmacies nationwide. A 12 pack costs €5.99 and a pack of 24 costs €8.99. For more information on O.R.S® including details on why the formula is so effective maintaining an optimum fluid balance go to: www.ors.uk.com
Oral Rehydration Salts (O.R.S)
O.R.S has been developed by consumer healthcare specialists Clinova to introduce a step change in the rehydration medicine market in the UK, Ireland and globally.
Why O.R.S works
The common way that people tackle dehydration is to drink water, but this does not always work because water passes through the digestive tract too quickly to be absorbed by body tissues.
People get dehydrated when not enough sodium is being reabsorbed and O.R.S is formulated to rapidly improve sodium absorption. The intestines have on their surface a “sodium-glucose co-transporter,” a protein that absorbs salt much better in the presence of glucose. Adding glucose to water and salt in the right proportions as O.R.S soluble tablets do enables better absorption of salts and thereby water, helping rehydration and maintaining an optimum fluid balance.
What it contains
To achieve optimum hydration O.R.S tablets contain: Glucose, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid and Potassium Chloride.
- Soluble tablet form makes O.R.S easy to consume and carry in tube containers (12 or 24 tablet) packs – ideal for travel, sports and home medical kits for adults and children
- Taste and flavours have been developed to make oral rehydration pleasant – Lemon, Blackcurrant and Strawberry for kids. Consumer survey showed 50% felt the taste was palatable and 20% felt it was refreshing
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Free from gluten and lactose
- Meets World Health Organisation (WHO)guidelines
- Easy to prepare for consumers and athletes that need to prepare their own drinks before exercise
To prepare the solution, add 2 tablets to 200ml of drinking water and allow to dissolve completely (stir if required).
- Adults and children aged 6 years and over: Drink 200ml (2 tablets) of solution each time the body’s fluid level needs to be maintained
- Children aged under 6 years: Drink 10ml of solution per kg of body weight each time the body’s fluid level needs to be maintained
- Infants up to the age of 2 years: Please consult your doctor or pharmacist before using in infants up to the age of 2 years
Do not store prepared/disolved O.R.S solution for more than 8 hours outside of a refrigerator. If refrigerated the solution may be stored for up to 24 hours.
- Adults should not use more than 24 tablets in 24 hours
- Children should not use more than 10 tablets in 24 hours in accordance with the dosage instructions
- Taking more than the recommended daily intake may be harmful
- O.R.S should not be used to replace a well balanced diet
O.R.S is widely available in Pharmacies across Ireland and the UK and is growing as an international brand in the Middle East, Asia and South America.
Clinova was co-founded by Charles Ebubedike, Arsalan Karim and Jim Tremouliaris after they left the School of Pharmacy at the University of Portsmouth in 1999.
Supported by a highly experienced senior management team (Chairman Gerard Gregg-Smith, former Global Head of Healthcare and Life Sciences at KPMG Corporate Finance, and Chief Strategic Officer John Honey, (former Senior Vice President at Reckitt Benckiser) they have gone through extensive research and development to produce and market a range of successful consumer healthcare and medical products including Covaflu face masks, Repelsect insect repellent patches and Quash natural hand sanitiser.
Based in Southampton Clinova is continuing to develop new products and open up new markets with the aim of making the world a healthier place.