Nutritionist Jane McClenaghan at Vital Nutrition talks us through the benefits of adding milled hemp to your diet.
What are the benefits of adding Milled Hemp Seed to your diet?
Milled Hemp Seed is a new addition to the Linwoods range, so let’s take a closer look to find out a little more about the benefits of adding hemp seed into our diets.
1. Hemp seed provides all the essential amino acids
Hemp seed is a one of the few plant foods that contains all the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. These essential amino acids cannot be made by our bodies, so we need to get them through our diet. They are the building blocks for proteins in our bodies, so every cell, organ and enzyme is dependent on us getting enough through the food we eat.
Vegan and plant based diets are often low in the amino acid lysine, which is predominantly found in animal based foods. The good news is that adding hemp seed to a plant based diet provides a decent intake of lysine and contributes all nine essential amino acids.
A 25g serving of Linwoods MultiBoost milled hemp seed will add 7g protein to your day. This is the equivalent of 28g per 100g, so if you want to add a little pop of protein to your smoothies, breakfast topper or salads, hemp seed would be a great option, especially if you follow a vegan diet.
2. Hemp is a great source of fibre
We are recommended to get at least 30g of fibre into our daily diet, but most people struggle to get anywhere near this. Getting into the habit of adding a 25g serving of hemp seed will contribute 5g fibre to your day. It is a balance of both soluble and insoluble fibre.
3. Hemp seed is packed with healthy fats
Milled hemp seed contains a good balance of plant based omega 3 and omega 6 fats, which is important for cardiovascular heath and circulation. Studies vary, but it seems that the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio in hemp seed oil is somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1, which is considered to be optimal for human health.
Milled Hemp seed also contains GLA, an essential fat that is often used as a supplement in the form of borage oil or evening primrose oil to help alleviate symptoms of PMS.
4. Hemp seed is a great source of minerals
Milled Hemp Seed is a great way to top up your mineral levels. A 25g serving will provide you with 32% of your recommended intake for copper, 18% of your required iron levels, 35% of your daily magnesium needs, 102% of your manganese requirements, 36% of your required phosphorus and 17% of your daily zinc needs. How’s that for packing a punch?
All of this adds up to a great way to add a little health boost to your day. The benefits of adding milled hemp seed to your daily diet may include:
- regulating appetite thanks to the high protein and fibre content
- the healthy balance of essential fats are thought to benefit cardiovascular health factors including blood pressure triglyercide balance and cholesterol levels
- may help with PMS
- a great source of both soluble and insoluble fibre for digestive health
- contributes minerals that are essential for strong skin, hair and nails
Linwoods new multi boost milled hemp seed is a lovely way to add an extra pop of protein into your daily diet. It’s mild nutty flavour is lovely added as a topper to your regular breakfast, stirred into yoghurt as a snack, or added to your favourite protein based smoothie.
Vegan Blueberry Spring Mix Salad Recipe including Hemp Seeds
This vegan blueberry salad is a total game changer with a sweet blueberry dressing, pistachios and Linwoods Milled Hemp seed. Look no further for recipes including Hemp Seed
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Servings – 4
- 1 bag of spring mix greens
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 green apples, sliced thinly (cores removed)
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 60g shelled pistachios
- 80g vegan feta, crumbled
- 1 heaped tbsp Linwoods Multiboost Whole Milled Hemp Seeds
- 80 ml extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 60 ml balsamic vinegar
- 200g fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 heaped tbsp Linwoods Multiboost Milled Whole Hemp Seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Blend together dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Layer up salad ingredients, drizzle with some of the dressing and serve with extra on the side.