– Half of Irish people go running 2-3 times a week but almost a fifth (18%) never do
– 97% admit the brighter mornings and evenings motivate them to run
– Over two thirds (67%) use an app to map their runs
– Evenings are the most popular time to hit the streets (51%)
– 9 out of 10 prefer running outdoors to running on a treadmill
– Technical features (41%), cost (29%) and style (23%) are the top three considerations when buying sportswear.
– Over half (53%) will only buy sportswear from name brands such as Nike and adidas
With the clocks going forward, the days are longer, the weather’s getting (somewhat) warmer and the streets are waiting to be hit, hard. Your best run requires the right gear and at Life Style Sports you’ll find the widest range of technical, performance oriented running clothing, footwear and equipment from top brands such as Nike, adidas, Under Armour and Asics to ensure you make the most of those brighter evenings.
While running is fantastic for your aerobic fitness, it is a high impact sport with your feet, knees and body all requiring protection from the constant impact of running on hard ground. Quality running footwear is designed not only to improve performance but to also minimise the risk of injury. Life Style Sports can help you find the right footwear for your run thanks to their free in-store Gait Analysis service which quickly and easily analyses your foot strike to find the ideal running shoe for you. The Gait Analysis service is available in ten Life Style Sports stores across the country. A free foot scan service to determine an individual’s foot type is also available in all Life Style Sports stores nationwide.
#DidYouKnow – There are three types of foot strike? 58% of Irish people didn’t.
There are three different types of foot strike a person can have and Life Style Sports’ free Gait Analysis will be able to determine what type of footwear you need:
- Neutral / Ideal foot – This is where your foot comes into complete and well balanced contact with the ground at all times. This foot strike is best suited to a cushioning shoe for extra comfort.
- Under-pronation / High arch – This is where runners land on the outside of their foot, inhibiting the ability to absorb ground forces. Quite rare, only an average of 5% – 7% of the population have this foot strike and require an extra cushioned running shoe.
- Over-pronation / Flat foot – About 70% of the Irish people have this foot strike, where they land on the inside of the foot. Runners with this foot strike require a stability shoe to help prevent shin splints and damage to the knees and ankles.
#DidYouKnow – 44% of women who exercise regularly do not wear a sports bra?
Breast sagging is real and not many people know that it is dramatically accelerated by exercise if you’re not wearing the right support. Breasts are made of soft tissue, not muscle, so regular unsupported exercise can affect their ability to rebound from impact. Once the ligaments supporting the breast are stretched, NOTHING can naturally restore them to their former position. Breasts can bounce up to 14cm when unsupported during exercise so getting fitted for a proper sports bra will ensure your run is comfortable and that gravity won’t take its toll too early. The Life Style Sports Fit Force can provide all the expert advice you need to find the right sports bra for your run.
#DidYouKnow – There’s a big difference between sportswear and sports fashion?
41% of Irish people named ‘technical ability’ as the main influence when buying sportswear. It’s essential to choose supportive, breathable fabrics to wick away sweat and lightweight materials to keep you feeling cool when you’re bringing the heat. Sports fashion and sportswear are not the same and Life Style Sports has a huge range of technical clothing from top brands such as Nike, adidas, Under Armour, Asics and Millie & Gym that is designed to up your game while looking on trend.
#DidYouKnow – You can Click & Collect from Life Style Sports?
Whether it’s your first time or you’re a running fanatic, LifeStyleSports.com is brimming with information and top tips. Customers buying online can have purchases delivered to their door or to their nearest Life Style Sports store with the free Click & Collect service. Next day delivery is also available on all orders placed before 7pm.
#DidYouKnow – You could win €100 to spend in Life Style Sports?
Rozanna Purcell will be taking over the Life Style Sports Twitter account @ 6pm on 7th April, answering all your Spring Running questions. The best questions will run away with €100 voucher
With the right gear, your run will be more enjoyable and all you’ll have to worry about is beating your personal best!
*Survey carried out on 318 people 18 -55