Nutritionist Rachel Graham, talks us through her favourite Linwoods product and why she has made Shelled Hemp seeds an essential part of her nutrition.
‘What is my favourite Linwoods product and why?’
It is not easy to choose from such an exceptional line-up of Linwoods products, as each one offers its own unique benefits. However, one product stands out for me in particular, due to its multiple nutritional benefits:
Why Shelled Hemp Seeds?
These tiny seeds pack a punch when it comes to protein content, versatility in recipes, and numerous other health benefits. Here’s why Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds have become an essential part of my nutrition as well as a product I regularly recommend to my clients.
Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays a vital role in our body’s ability to function optimally. The problem is we are just not eating enough protein – especially as we age. This is a seemingly very common problem, particularly in mid-life women.
One observation I notice is that many of my fellow mid-life women are not regularly lifting weights and as a result are likely experiencing muscle wasting (known as sarcopenia). Building lean muscle is very important at this life stage, for several reasons.
The most important reason though is the role that lean muscle mass plays to help strengthen our bones & maintain good bone density as we age.
To enable us to build lean muscle mass, we require adequate amounts of quality protein from both plant & animal sources.
Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds are an exceptional source of plant-based protein, making them an excellent addition to any diet. Just a single 20g serving of these seeds contains around 7g of protein, providing a substantial boost in a small serving to your overall daily intake.
Versatility in Recipes:
One of the aspects that I like about using Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds is their soft texture, which allows for effortless incorporation into a wide range of recipes. These seeds can be sprinkled over salads, yoghurt, or smoothie bowls, enhancing both the taste and nutritional value of these meals. They can also be added to porridge, bread recipes, or even as an addition to pesto! I sometimes add Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds when I’m making homemade protein bars for an extra nutritional kick. The possibilities are endless!
Essential Fatty Acids:
We need to get essential fats from our diet, we cannot make these ourselves – hence why they are called essential fats! Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds are a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, which are key for maintaining good heart health and overall well-being. These healthy fats help to reduce inflammation in the body, promote brain function, support a healthy immune system, and contribute to the maintenance of healthy skin. By incorporating Shelled Hemp Seeds into your diet, you can easily obtain a balance of these essential fatty acids, which are often lacking in traditional Western diets.
In addition to the high protein content, Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds are also a rich source of essential minerals such as magnesium, iron, and zinc. Magnesium supports bone health, muscle function, and energy production, while iron helps in the formation of red blood cells and the transportation of oxygen throughout the body. Zinc is essential for immune function and plays a role in wound healing, supporting our skin health. By regularly consuming Shelled Hemp Seeds, you can conveniently incorporate these vital minerals into your daily routine.
Linwoods Shelled Hemp Seeds have become my go-to product due to their exceptional nutritional profile, versatility in recipes, and numerous health benefits.
1 x 20g serving size provides:
Their soft texture makes them very versatile to use in a variety of ways. I like that I can use them as a protein boost in recipes without having to rely on protein powders.
I often add them to smoothies, porridge, overnight oats & yoghurt or to recipes for protein balls or healthy nut & seed bars.
Give them a try & effortlessly elevate your meals to a whole new level of nutrition!
Healthy Summer Rolls Recipe | 12 Servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Servings – 12 rolls
- 2 large carrots thinly sliced*
- 1 large courgette, thinly sliced*
- ½ a cucumber or 4 baby cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 butterhead lettuce
- 1 regular block of firm tofu, sliced into batons
- ¼ of a small red cabbage finely sliced; 1 large handful worth
- 4 tbsp Linwoods hemp seeds
- 12 rice paper wrappers
For the Dipping Sauce
- 60g smooth almond or peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 -5 tbsp water
- Prepare all your veggies for your summer rolls
- Prepare one rice paper roll at a time, softening it in a large shallow bowl of warm water. Lay the softened wrapper on a flat board, or counter top.
- Lay a piece of lettuce a couple of inches in from the edge closest to your body. Place a small pinchful of a variety of the fillings on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle in 1 heaped tsp of hemp seeds. Any remaining can be used for sprinkling on top of the final rolls; you can also dunk them in the dipping sauce and then into the hemp seeds for texture, protein and healthy fats.
- Fold the edge of the wrapper closest to you over the filling.
- Then fold in the two outer edges to begin to form a parcel.
- Now you roll the rice paper roll closed, holding the filling together as you go.
- It’s not an exact science. The wrapper will stick together as it dries out a little.
- Whisk together the dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add as much water as you need to reach your own desired consistency.
- Serve the summer rolls with fresh coriander, dipping sauce and more hemp seeds.