Longer and warmer days – check. Summer clothes back in the wardrobe, check. Summer ready body – not yet! As summer approaches and we’re all looking forward to being outdoors more, some of us will start planning how to perfect our summer wardrobe bodies. A resolve to go on a diet to lose weight can however cause all sort of hurdles for our digestive health.
Recent research conducted by Potter’s Herbals, a tried and trusted producer of licensed herbal medicines, revealed that:
- Over half of us (54%) admitted to being on or having recently been on a diet in the run-up to the summer season
- 47% of us don’t realise how dieting can affect our digestive health, causing symptoms ranging from indigestion to bloating
- This is despite the fact that 45% complained that diets have caused digestive woes, with this being a particular issue for those aged 25-34 with 55% of this group stating it has caused them digestive issues
So what can we do to ensure our gut is supported while we work to shed those excess pounds before a holiday? Dr Chris Etheridge from the Henry Potter Advisory Committee, an expert health panel for Potter’s Herbals, says: “It is so important to be aware that our digestive health can affect our weight, with so many of us apparently unable to maintain our weight at a healthy level. Addressing our digestive health is an important part of looking after ourselves, alongside diet and physical activity for reaching a healthy BMI. Research shows how the gastrointestinal tract contributes several peptides that act as signals in metabolic pathways influencing energy balance and hence body weight. Keeping our digestive health in tip-top condition is vital for weight management as well as our overall health.”
“Herbs such as senna, psyllium, dandelion, fennel and buckthorn have been used for centuries to help digestive health. Informed by knowledge of traditional herbal practice, Potter’s Herbals, established by Henry Potter in 1812, uses their depth of experience to combine these herbs in a range of remedies for digestive health. Like the rest of the Potter’s Herbals range, these digestive health remedies are fully licensed and carry either the Traditional Herbal Registration (THR) or Product License (PL) to comply with modern day quality standards.”
There are three remedies in Potter’s Herbals digestive health range. These have been blended together based on Potter’s deep experience of the synergistic effect of these natural, herbal ingredients to meet different digestive health needs:
- Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea – a special infusion of tried and trusted herbs for short-term relief of occasional constipation. RRP £4.24, available in Holland & Barrett, Boots, and all good health food stores.
- Potter’s Cleansing Herb Tablets – specifically designed to provide symptomatic relief of occasional constipation and feelings of bloatedness. RRP £4.18, available in Holland & Barrett, Boots, and all good health food stores.
- Potter’s Slippery Elm Indigestion Relief Tablets – soothe and protect the lining of the stomach to address indigestion, heartburn and flatulence. RRP £7.65, available in Holland & Barrett and all good health food stores.
To find out more about the Potter’s Herbals digestive health range, please visit www.pottersherbals.co.uk.